Friday 8 July 2011

Ribbon Reel 5 - Summer Fruit ...

... I've been thinking about the current Ribbon Reel challenge for a while - we've been given a photo for inspiration along with a list of requirements - two ribbons/lace or twine, at least one brad and a summer fruit.


I had lots of ideas about how to use the photo for inspiration - just for the colour, the general idea of fruit - I even went off at a tangent and thought about Wimbledon.  You know, strawberries and cream while watching the matches.  However, I think the cake looks absolutely delicious!!  And so I decided to be quite literal with my card - here it is:


Some while ago I got a strawberry stamp free with Craft Stamper (can't remember which company made the stamp) and I thought it was perfect for this card.  I stamped the strawberry randomly over the base card.  I cut out three mats - one in satin red mirri card with the largest lacey square nestie, a piece of patterned paper and a plain white mat.  I added some pink gingham ribbon to the base card before attaching the central topper.  The white mat was attached with dimensional tape - giving depth and also hiding the pin on the brad.  The cupcake is from Cupcakes by Hero Arts - such yummy looking cakes.  I stamped it three times in London Fog - and coloured the image with Promarkers.  I cut out and layered the cake and then the icing.  The little strawberry is made from pink shrink plastic using the strawberry stamp and cutting it out carefully (making sure there are no sharp edges) and adding some green chalk to the leaves.  Finally, I added a bright red bow, a sentiment and the strawberry!

Stamps:  Hero Arts - Cupcakes; Strawberry Stamp (FOC with Craft Stamper)
Inks:  Memento - London Fog; Stampin' Up! - Real Red
Spellbinders:  Lacey Squares (S4-295) die #5; Classic Squares (S4-126) die #5 and 7
Promarkers:  Almond, Ice Grey 1
Accessories:  Card, ribbon, brad, shrink plastic, paper - all from stash

I've taken a close up photo of the topper - the strawberry looks amazing - it has such texture!!  I'm really pleased it turned out so well.



That's all for now.  The weather has been awful this afternoon - lots of rain - and the forecast is for a thunderstorm this evening.  So the BBQ won't take place outside - we'll get out the gas cookers and the kids can cook their burgers indoors!!  We'll still have fun this evening.

I'll be back in the morning to check out Less is More - I enjoyed this week's challenge - just love blues!!  Have a great evening - see you soon.

15 comments:

Jackie said...

Beautiful card, it looks good enough to eat :o)
Jackie xx

Buffy said...

Gorgeous yummy card. Can I have the cupcake ;)

Anonymous said...

thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment! i love the strawberry stamped background and the cute strawberry accent you've made; wow, such attention to detail!

jimlynn said...

Yummy and PRETTY! LOVE THIS!
Lynn

Stella said...

This card is bad for my diet:)
The icing on the cupcake made me think of whipped cream and strawberries. There you have it; thinking about it is already increasing my hips :)

Sorry; off track.
Yes you can be proud of this beauty; it's absolutely stunning!
Hugs!

Lana said...

This is yummy creation! Love your cupcake with strawberry! :)

McCrafty's Cards said...

A Yummy card Deborah, I like the stamped background & the cupcake.
Kevin xx

Pauline said...

Fab card Deborah, I love the strawberry stamped background, and the lovely patterned paper, yummy cupcake and gorgeous brad! A really beautiful card, thanks for joining us at The Ribbon Reel!

Oscar said...

Gorgeous card Deborah, I love your cute little cupcake and strawberry. Thanks for sharing with us at The Ribbon Reel this fortnight!

Donna Mosley said...

A very scrummy card Deborah, love the strawberries.

Donna x

Wendy ten Hove said...

Yummy! What a delicious card, Deborah! ;-) Very nice in pink, I like it!!!
Hugs, Wendy

Jenny said...

That cake looks yummy deborah, beautiful card :)
Jenny x

Paula (PEP) said...

Funny - I was just lookinga t that stamp earlier today......Brilliant shrink plastic strawberry idea & I love the way that brad picks up the lacey edging of your matting.
Hope the evening goes well despite the weather.
Paula (PEP)

Mona Pendleton said...

Cute card Deb! Love the scrumptious cupcake!

Vicky Hayes said...

Truly scrumptious Deborah! (And I hope I haven't set you singing now!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...