Monday 24 September 2012

Bee's knees ....

... don't you just love this expression!  I did a Google check to find out when people first started to use it.  According to the Oxford Dictionary it was first used in the 18th century, but then it meant something small or insignificant.  Nowadays, we use the phrase to mean something that's excellent or outstanding; this usage can be traced back to 1920s American slang!  And the relevance to cards - well, I used it on this card!


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - L'il Buddies, Compact Sentiments II, Spring Basket
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black; Distress - Squeezed Lemonade, Scattered Straw, Dried Marigold
Accessories:  PTI - Hexagon Die; Glitter and card from stash

I used a few challenges to make this card:



First I cut a stencil using my Papertrey hexagon die - I pushed out some of the hexagons and left a few in place, attached it to the card and sponged through some ink.  I started with the palest yellow and built up to the strongest, suggesting part of a honeycomb.  I used my stamp-a-ma-jig to position the sentiment and then added a couple of little bees.  I coloured the bees with Promarkers and added a touch of glitter to the wings.  The three previous challenges for this week's LIM86 challenge are: LIM29 - Things that move (the bees), LIM59 - Masking (to create the honeycomb) and LIM66 - to use yellow.

Looks like I'm finally getting back into my groove - two posts today!!  See you tomorrow!

12 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

Great card Deborah live the bees and the great sentiment...this could cover several occasions...

Anne

Jenni's Jems said...

A really versatile and fun card x

Susan said...

I just love those cute little bees! The sponging you did is a great "honeycomb"!

kingstonmama said...

Brilliant, Deborah! I love the way you sponged a honeycomb background for those sweet bees. Just fabulous. ann

Mona Pendleton said...

So cute Deb! Love the little bees with shimmery wings and the hexagon background!

Tara Cardwell said...

love it - the soft yellow background is gorgeous - nice way to create your own custom design background too! Thanks for St Lukes reminder I'll put it on the blog.
Tara
x

Chrissie said...

Cute card Deborah, you're right, it's a fun expression!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
Less is More.

Ardyth said...

Fantastic theme - love the subtle background and how it ties in (and that it isn't solid across the card!)

GinaA said...

What a cute card those bees are buzzing.

Sue said...

A lovely, fun CAS card!

Heather T said...

What a great idea to sponge your honeycomb. It is of course the perfect background for your little bees.

Mandi said...

Super card Deborah
Perfect for a couple
Thank you
mandi
LIM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...