Wednesday 13 February 2013

Red ....

.... Good Afternoon from a bright, sunny and very cold Northville!  I lost yesterday to a day of tidying and filing - no crafting at all!  So, after my chores this morning, I made sure that I got some time in my craftroom.  This week's challenge at CASology - CAS31 has the cue word RED.  As soon as I saw it an idea came to me - no hearts, flowers or chocolate in sight.  But it does relate to love; love of country.  Here's my card:

 
Stamps: Stampin' Up! - Feeling Sentimental (Sale-a-bration set); My Favourite Things - Western Sentiments
Inks: Versafine - Onyx Black
Accessories: SU Card - Real Red; Promarker - Ruby; Clear embossing powder; White lustre card


One of the most iconic images from Great Britain are our red telephone boxes, sadly they are not as common as when I was a girl.  My father was in the Royal Air Force and was often away when I was a girl, and before we got a phone at home we had to go to the phone box at the corner of our street to call him.  So this image conjures up feelings of love of home - my family and Great Britain.  The card was really quick and easy to make.  I cut the red and white panels to size, stamped the phone box in Versafine and embossed with clear powder.  I then coloured it RED!!  I finished wish the single word home.

Here's a close up of the phone box where you can clearly see the nicely embossed image. 

Photo Credit

When I was little this was a common sight in most English villages and towns.  A telephone box next to the mail box.  Sadly, as more and more people have cell phones, these boxes are disappearing.  But they haven't gone completely, and they are recognisable the world.

Do you remember the film ET and the line "phone home"?  This was part of my inspiration too!



That's all for now.  See you soon.

15 comments:

Ardyth said...

I was waiting for the Dr Who reference - I don't watch it, but it seems like that stamp is a godsend to those who do! I well remember the phone boxes in London from my days of living there good memories! Thanks so much for playing along with CASology this week - hope you're not missing home too much!

Donna Mosley said...

Great card Deborah, love the image.

Donna x

Stamps and Paper said...

Great card Deborah and a very English image

Anne

Tara Cardwell said...

Great take on the challenge - the embossed detail works really well on this image. You can buy old boxes converted to sofas now which is cool but sad at the same time. Tara

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fun card Deb! Love the telephone booth image! I had fun visiting London and seeing those telephone booth!

Chrysalis said...

Lovely card,Deborah - and I love that stamp. It's a lovely sunny - dare I say warm - day at the moment in Worcester so I made the most of it and cleaned out the henhouse by 9.30am. Feeling very virtuous now, so sitting with a milky coffee before tackling the ironing. Happy Valentine's Day from across the pond. x

Sue Lelli said...

What a great card and memory! Won't see that here - only cell phones!

Kristie Goulet said...

Love this image and your card! TFS!!!

Meghan said...

What a creative take on the cue card! Love it! Glad you joined in on the fun at CASology this week!

Jenni's Jems said...

Now my first thought was the ET reference hee he, a very iconic image and great card x

Rosemary said...

Oh I just love you take on the cue word! Great CAS design! So glad you played along with CASology is week!

Melissa said...

Those red phone boxes make me smile...as do the double decker buses! :) Love your take on this week's cue word! A perfect, one-layer CAS card! :) Thanks so much for joining us at CASology!

Judy1223 said...

Deborah, nothing says England to me more than the red phone booth! My husband and I took a trip around Europe on our first anniversary and have some very fun pictures in a phone booth in England just like the one on your card! (It brought back nice memories for me, too!) Your card is perfectly CAS...thanks for playing along at CASology this week!

Darnell said...

And there you go, Deborah! The epitome of "red!" Well done!!

Jen W. said...

Fantastic take on the cue word, Deborah! I love your telephone box! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...